7 Best Security Plugins for WordPress to Protect Your Site (2020 review)
Would you like to keep your Website safe from hackers? Investing in a security plugin for WordPress then is a great place to start.
WordPress is one of the world's most focused content management (CMS) systems, since it's the most common. By stealing confidential information and harming your reputation, hackers and other malware infections may ruin your online company.
But you can protect your website with a security plugin against brute force attacks, ransomware and hackers. We'll be showing you the best WordPress security plugins to block hackers in this post.
Best Protection Plugins for WordPress – A short overview
Here's a short rundown of the 7 best plugins you can use to improve security for your WordPress website. To skip ahead you can click on the link and read about the plugin you are interested in.
Did you know that nearly 90% of WordPress attacks took place in 2018? WordPress sites get hacked as it's the most popular builder of websites. That is why keeping your WordPress site safe is so crucial.
Here are some of the advantages of using WordPress Protection Plugin:
- Protect sensitive data: A security plugin would protect your data and the data of your customer from hackers
- Avoid losing access to your website: Hackers will disconnect you from your website, but you can avoid losing access with the right plugin
- Stop Brute Force Attacks: WordPress security plugins prevent brute force attacks on your website (when an attacker uses the trial and error method to decode passwords or encrypted data)
- Prevent SEO Rankings and Brand Reputation from Harm: Hacking events will affect your search rankings and brand reputation in the long term, so prevent any damage with a security plugin
As you can see, there are many reasons for protecting your website using a plugin. It's also safer to place caution on the wind to prevent breaches. A professional may be required to clean a hacked website, which may be costly for new website owners.
Are you able to use the best protection plugin in WordPress with that? Let's start with...
Sucuri is the best security plug-ins on WordPress to protect the site from various threats. We do use it for keeping them safe and stable on all of our websites.
It's a security framework focused on the cloud that defends your site against hackers, ransomware, brute force attacks, DDoS and other threats.
What makes Sucuri the perfect plug-in for WordPress is its firewall or WAF website functionality. And before it hits the server it checks and filters out bad traffic.
Sucuri provides other important security features besides the firewall, to protect your website:
- Track and check your website for threats
- Verifies SSL Certificates
- Scans for SEO Spam
- Zero-day exploitation protection
- Repairs and restores already hacked websites
- Offers a content delivery network (CDN) to speed up performance
- Provides fast HTTP/2 support
- WordPress security hardening options
Jetpack is also among the best security plugins in WordPress providing complete solutions to secure your website, increase its efficiency and control site traffic.
It provides versions which are both free and charged. In the free edition you get control of downtime on the website and security against brute force. And you can use its 100 + free WordPress themes in terms of site management and results, view 20 recent operation, and see the traffic and revenue stats.
But if, in addition to the free features, you are looking for more protection options, then consider using their paid edition, as it offers:
- Daily automated website backups
- 30-day archive
- Automated spam filtering
- Automatically scans for malware
- Fixes security threats automatically
- Secure authentication for WordPress accounts
- Monitors site activity
- Automatically updates plugins
Wordfence is a free security plugin for WordPress that provides excellent functionality and will stop hackers from entering your website. For more security features it also provides a premium version.
It comes with a full WordPress firewall, malware signatures and prevents access to your website through malicious IP addresses.
Here is a list of Wordfence Security features you'll get:
- WordPress firewall identifies and blocks malicious traffic
- Scans for malware and blocks requests from malicious code or content
- Real-time malware signature update
- Check your website constantly for threats
- Two-factor authentication for login
- Easy to use interface
- Monitor visits and hack attempts with an analytics dashboard
4. IThemes Security
iThemes Security is a WordPress security plugin intended to keep hackers out. It also features a lovely dashboard in your WordPress backend. You can track behavior using the dashboard, and view security logs.
Even the plugin is effective against several malware attacks and brute force attacks. Here are some fun Security features for iThemes:
- File change detection
- 404 error detection
- Set strong passwords using the plugin
- Lockout bad users
- Backup database
- Get instant email notifications
5. All In One WP Security
All In One WP Security is another common security plug-in for WordPress to protect your website from the most dangerous of attacks.
You can check your website using the plugin for security vulnerabilities, detect threats and use the firewall to protect against attacks.
It is one of the best free protection plugins in WordPress that you can get your hands on. Here are several protections All In One WP Security offers:
- Password strength tool lets you create strong passwords
- Stop unauthorized logins
- Login Lockdown feature prevents brute force attacks
- Add honeypot to WordPress user registration form
- Schedule automatic backups
- Protect your PHP code
- The firewall protects you from malicious attacks
- Prevent comment spam
6. BulletProof Security
BulletProof Security is another common plugin offering features that help defend your WordPress website against hackers. It does not deliver the most user-friendly interface to work with, but does in terms of features make up for it.
Here are some of the BulletProof Security features you may want to try out:
- Powerful malware scanner
- Easy setup process
- Monitor logins and security
- Real-time file monitoring
- Firewall to prevent hacking
- Database backup
- Anti-spam feature
- Security and HTTP error logging
7. Anti-Malware Security And Brute Force Firewall
The last plugin we have in our list is Anti-Malware Security and Brute Force Firewall. With WordPress websites it works very well and it provides a simple setup process.
Its main goal is to stop malware from infecting your website. But brute force attacks can also be stopped by its firewall. Using the app, threats to the website can be automatically identified and removed using the full website scan.
To get the most out of the plugin, here are a few of its features:
- Comprehensive website scanner
- Powerful firewall
- Patches your login to prevent DDoS and brute force attack
- Automatically updates definitions
Verdict: Best Security Plugin for WordPress by 2020
Finally you've made it to the end of our list of the best WordPress website security plugins.
If you are searching for a full solution to secure your website from hackers and other risks, such as ransomware, DDoS attacks, brute force attacks and spam, then we suggest Sucuri.
The firewall is one of the best protections the website can put up with. And with more exciting functionality, Sucuri is a versatile platform for real-time monitoring and threat-blocking.